Your ask three specific questions concerning Jill's experiences/actions:

    (1) What day and time did she first notify the authorities of her observation?
    (2) What day and time did she give her statement?
    (3) Do you have a copy of her statement, or have complete knowledge of same, and able to share?

    Firstly, there are some questions about the meaning you intend by "authorities," and "statement." I presume that you intend "statement" to be the first statement that she gave that was written down, and which she signed; that happened to also be her first face-to-face confrontation with someone from the LAPD. The occasion of that was on Wednesday (morning, I believe) when Phil Vannatter visited Jill, wrote up her account, and had her sign it. The contents of that statement are reported in Lange and Vannatter on page.133, and I reprint that at the end below. I believe that answers your second and third questions.

    "Authorities" is a little tougher, because that includes, I think, all LAPD contacts, more than just Phil Vannatter. I think it is best to answer this question by way of a narrative recapitulation:

The incident in question (Jill's near collision with Simpson, and eye-witness identification of him at Bundy and San Vicente), of course, occurred between 10:30 and 11:00 pm on Sunday night, June 12, 1994. Because of Simpson's wild demeanor, Jill assumed at the time that he was drunk, but that was based strictly on the behavior she observed over the course of about a minute from a distance of 15 or 20 feet. She was rattled by the incident, made a mental note of it, but proceeded with her affairs without taking any action.

    At that time, Jill was working at a plastics company in Brea, 33 miles east of Santa Monica, which required about a one-hour commute, each way. She worked a 6:30 am to 2:00 pm shift. Monday morning she drove to work; she did not see or hear news before she left her apartment, and there was no radio in her car. About 9:00 o'clock, her mother called her to tell her of the media frenzy concerning the Bundy murders. (It was of particular interest because the Bundy neighborhood was nearby to where Jill and her mother lived.) Upon hearing that Nicole had been murdered, Jill changed her understanding of the cause of Simpson's distress, and then believed that she had seen him in a distraught state as he was coming from seeing his ex-wife's body as someone else had killed her. At that time, it did not occur to her that Simpson himself might have done the deed. (Even to this day, Jill does not have an opinion about Simpson's guilt or innocence, though she obviously understands now, as no one did then, that there are reasons to think that Simpson killed Nicole himself.)

    In that conversation with her mother, Jill mentioned the Sunday night incident in which she nearly collided with Simpson. The Bundy murders were suddenly more than a news story for Jill and her mother. Throughout the morning, Jill's mother continued to watch TV coverage about it, and called Jill with updates. By the time of Jill's lunch break between 11:00 and 12:00 it was becoming clear that Jill's experience would be of interest to the authorities, but she was nervous at the prospect of "getting involved." Just before noon, Jill overcame her anxiety and called the LAPD from work. However, Jill's work space offered no privacy, and there were many blacks among her co-workers. It was her sense that her call would make some of them hostile to her, and she used a pay phone for this call. She reached a clerk who took her name and numbers both at work and at home, and a short synopsis of her account. Various people called her in the afternoon at work, and then later in the afternoon at home when she had returned to Santa Monica. Finally, shortly after sundown - about 8:00 o'clock - Vanatter himself talked to her on the phone.

    On Tuesday (while we now know that Lange and Vannatter were at the autopsies) Jill was called by other people from LAPD who wanted to confirm her original contact information, and know a little more. She was candid with anybody who called. Toward the end of the day, an appointment was set up whereby she would be visited by a detective (Vannatter, as events proved) the next day. Vannatter did meet her on Wednesday, heard her story in person, produced a handwritten, but official version, and had her sign it. (Incidentally, when Jill got home from work on Tuesday evening, her apartment was swarming with TV crews, and they were very insistent and invasive, poking cameras through her bathroom window and assaulting her whenever she stepped out her door. This was the day BEFORE she had given any official statement, and is an indication of what a sieve the LAPD is for leaks. It also gives a little insight into Jill's frame of mind when the question of a TV interview came up the next week. From this incredible media onslaught, it certainly did not seem to Jill as though the authorities had any interest in keeping her observations quiet; the LAPD had rushed to tell the media about her before she had even made a statement.)

    On Saturday, she was visited by two other detectives (Tippin and Carr, I believe) who took further notes, delivered a Grand Jury subpoena for a Tuesday appearance, and made arrangements to pick her (and other witnesses) up at a posh Westside motel early on Tuesday morning. The Tippin/Carr report is not available, as far as I am aware. (As are not several other important official documents related to Jill, most important of which is the results of the LAPD inspection of the grassy median for recent tire imprints of a Bronco.)

    CORROBORATION: It has sometimes been portrayed that Jill's story is "uncorroborated." Well, the circumstances of the incident were that there were not many other witness -- the young man in the gray Nissan is the only one known -- and we do not know his story, or whether he might not have a compelling reason to keep quiet. So, if the man in the Nissan chooses not to come forward (and there is no public record that he has chosen to come forward) and Simpson himself denies the incident (as he has a motive to do) then there do not appear to be any other opportunities for corroboration of the incident itself. (However, I have heard credible rumors that in those first few days the LAPD received calls from people who claimed to have seen the Shively/Simpson encounter -- one was the driver of the gray Nissan and another was a pedestrian at the gas station nearby. Before these contacts could be investigated, Marcia Clark had denounced Jill Shively, and there was no more purpose for prosecuting the case in looking into them. But a record of their original contacts is still in the LAPD files.)

    However, the parts of Jill's account that deals with her actions after the near-collision involved other people, and some of those people can be interviewed. In particular, I have met and spoken to Jill's mother a couple of times, and asked her specifically about what she experienced with regard to the incident. According to my understanding from those talks, the following is Nancy Shively's recollections of events she actually witnessed. (This exact statement, however, has not been presented to Nancy for her concurrence.)



On the morning of Monday, June 13, 1994, the day after the murders, I
called Jill at work and in that conversation mentioned that the TV news
was saying that Nicole Brown, O.J. Simpson's ex-wife, had been murdered
in front of her Bundy Drive condo the previous night. Details were
sketchy, and as would later turn out somewhat wrong, but it was a topic
of consuming interest in the TV news. I thought that Jill would find
this interesting because she was a frequent visitor to Brentwood, and
had mentioned on previous occasions that she had seen Simpson in public

I also knew that Jill did not have a radio in her car, and I thought
that she might be unaware of the Simpson story. In fact, according to
her reaction when I told her, I believe this was the case: she did not
know about the murders the previous night before I told her in that
Monday morning phone call. In that phone call she told me that she had
nearly collided with Simpson in his white Bronco the night before at San
Vicente and Bundy, and in fact had made a point of remembering his
license number. She had not related to anyone else this incident before
she told me, she said.

In that Monday morning phone call we discussed whether she should
report her observation to the police, and we agreed that because there
seemed to be such a circus atmosphere to the story, it might be wise to
wait until more was known before acting. I followed the story on television
Monday morning, and kept Jill appraised of what I saw by phone. By noon
we agreed that she should call the LAPD, and she said she did. It is my
understanding that the person she talked to referred her to another
number (or transferred her) but eventually, she gave her name, phone
numbers, and a brief account of her experience.

She has told me, and events of that time are consistent with the claim,
that she talked to Det. Vannatter Monday night after dark, and clerks in the LAPD, or
someone less than a detective, called her on Tuesday to get more information,
and that she was visited by Detective Phil Vannatter on Wednesday, at which
time he took a written report from her. I have also met and spoken with Det.
Vannatter myself. Because I lived near to her at the time, I also know of my
own observation that great numbers of television news people with their
equipment were at Jill's apartment when she got home from work on Tuesday

I believe that the incident at Bundy and San Vicente before 11:00
Sunday night, June 12, 1994 in which Jill nearly collided with Simpson
did happen as she has described it.

--Nancy Shively


        (from Lange & Vannatter's book, p. 133)

Wednesday, June 15, 1994

    On Sunday, 6-12-94, witness was en route to the Westward Ho Market on San Vicente across from the Mezzaluna Restaurant. Witness was eastbound approaching Bundy, the light was green for east/west traffic. Witness observed a white Ford Bronco northbound on Bundy run the red light and almost collide with a light grey Nissan, 2-door, who was westbound on San Vicente. The driver of the Nissan was a male white, 18/25, clean shaven, looked like a college student. Both the Ford Bronco and Nissan stopped. Witness recognized the driver of the Bronco to be O.J. Simpson. Witness had stopped at the intersection also. Witness observed Simpson lean out of the open driver's door window and yell at the driver of the Nissan. Witness heard Simpson yell, "Get out of the way, move, move, get out of the way." [She said,] "O.J. was angry." The driver of the Nissan got out of the way and continued driving westbound. Simpson drove northbound on Bundy at a high rate of speed. Witness continued to the store.

    Witness specifically remembers that this all occurred just before 11:00 pm, because she thought the Westward Ho Market closed at 11:00 pm. Witness had to get to the market before it closed.

    Witness frequents the Brentwood Village area, and has seen both O.J. and Nicole in the neighborhood many times.

Dick Wagner ( Van Nuys, CA (1/02/00) NG_602

back.gif (2777 bytes)